From Volunteer to President: Getting Involved with the VAC

Eliza Fulton

By Eliza Fulton

When I got to campus at the beginning of my Freshman year, I remember thinking, “so, what next?” I had heard fun college stories my whole life from friends and family my entire life. I thought that by simply moving into my dorm and being a part of the University I would instantly be making the college experiences I had heard so much about.

After the first month in Fayetteville, I learned those memories weren’t going to be made by simply living in Reid Hall. I needed to get involved on campus in order to meet a community that I would be able to make memories with.

I reached out to an upperclassman who I looked up to and asked her, “how do I get involved?” She sat with me patiently as she asked me questions about my passions and hobbies. She was trying to get a better idea of what involvement experiences would align with who I was and what I was looking for.

She came to the conclusion that the Volunteer Action Center would be a great place for me to start. She told me it was a service organization that allowed for long-term involvement that was meaningful and actually making an impact. She then went on to show me how to volunteer with one of the VAC’s signature programs, Passionate about Literacy (PAL).

I started volunteering with PAL during the spring semester of my Sophomore year. This program gave me the opportunity to serve and build relationships with elementary school students that were rooted in education, something that I had a passion for.

As I became more involved in this program, I decided I wanted to continue to join the VAC in a leadership role to continue to foster that passion that I had for education. I quickly joined the PAL team on the VAC Board. I jumped from being a general volunteer to being a leader who was managing the PAL program. I enjoyed being able to reimagine the trajectory for growth for the program and felt empowered to make a program that would create a lasting impact on the lives of our volunteers and our littles.

After my time on PAL, I decided to apply to be a part of Exec. Now, serving as President, my VAC experience has only continued to be a fruitful experience. Over the last four years, I have been able to create the memories that I desired to create my freshman year through my work in the VAC.  I have met incredible people, attended conferences, and gained perspective and better understanding of social justice issues.

After having these experiences and forming these memories within the VAC, I can finally say that I have had the college experience that I had been searching for. I found a community that pushed me to be my best self. I worked on programs that I felt empowered to lead and establish. I learned more about myself and my passions. I found a future career in nonprofit work. And I was surrounded by the most incredible change-makers the whole time. The VAC is a special place. It’s a place where you can grow in who you are as a person, and as a leader. As I graduate in May, I know that I would not be the same person that I am today without the Volunteer Action Center.

If service or making a lasting impact on the world around you means something to you, then I encourage you to join the VAC family during your time here at the U of A. There are so many opportunities to be a general volunteer, a volunteer for Make A Difference Day, or a board member! As a part of the VAC, you’ll grow into an incredible, empathetic leader through the experiences you have and the people you meet.