The Health Benefits of Increasing Percent Protein Intake on Body Composition, Sleep, and Physical Activity

Author: Ariston Gray                Major: Biology

Ariston Gray Graduation Photo

I am a senior biology major in the Fulbright college of arts and sciences. I began my research with Dr. Jamie Baum of the Food Science department in the spring of 2020. I began working with Dr. Erin Howie of the Health, Human Performance, and Recreation department in the fall of 2020. I found my mentor, Dr. Jamie Baum, while looking into research in the Food Science Department. I was interested in research in food science because I am a board member of the Jane B. Gearhart Full Circle Food Pantry, and I wanted to research a topic that was relevant to this experience. I wanted to be able to research a topic that I could then use to enhance our knowledge of food and nutrition at the Full Circle Food Pantry.

Originally, I was going to be examining the effects of time restricted feeding and protein supplementation on body composition and food intake in overweight and obese adults. Due to the pandemic, Dr. Baum helped me pivot my research in order to continue with a version of my original plan while also following COVID-19 safety guidelines. Dr. Baum put me into contact with Dr. Howie to gain access to Dr. Howie’s research data from a survey she has been conducting for over three years.

I have faced challenges due to the pandemic. I had to shift my research from in-person human research to survey-based research. The original study I was going to collect data under was postponed until January of 2021 because of the safety issues regarding the pandemic. I was able to keep the focus of my research on protein intake, but I shifted my data collection method and some of my research factors. I also had to modify my previous thesis in order to make it align with the new path I took with this research.

I researched the effects of percent protein intake on body composition, sleep, and physical activity. The outcomes of my research were quite interesting. I found that the relationship between percent protein intake and body composition, sleep, and accelerometer reported physical activity was not significant. I found that the relationship between percent protein intake and self-reported physical activity was significant. The findings were very interesting to me because I was not expecting these types of relationships. Outside research has shown that higher percent protein intake leads to better body composition, sleep, and physical activity. Possible reasons for these findings could have been due to a variety of factors such as smaller sample size and/or a lack of a dietary intervention.

My future plans include graduating this May and taking a year off to explore master’s degree options. I hope to explore master’s programs that focus on social justice and food sustainability. The research that I have been fortunate enough to conduct is something that will further my academic career as I hope to pursue more research opportunities while in my master’s program. Understanding how to conduct, interpret, and write about research is a key aspect of academia that will allow me to explore new research opportunities that may align with this research I have already conducted.