Generation Z’s Perception of Sustainability in the Apparel Industry

Analyzing Data

Author: Ashlee Andress | Major: Apparel Merchandising and Product Development | Semester: Spring 2023

The Spring 2023 Semester consisted of the conclusion of my research and my defense. Dr. Lance Cheramie and I analyzed data this semester to draw conclusions regarding the perception of sustainability by Generation Z university students. The survey we sent out first semester assessed how my peers and other individuals from my generation perceived the issues with our environment and how clothing affects that. This information can help individuals and corporations better educate and market sustainable products to the upcoming generation, and better meet their consumer demands. I learned how to quantitatively analyze the data from the survey and present our findings.

When the semester began, Dr. Cheramie and I began to look at responses from our survey distributed in the Fall. With the help of Dr. Kyuree Kim, and Dr. Laurie Apple, I learned how to analyze data. First, I had to clean the data. I only wanted to look at survey responses that had been fully completed, with no blank answers. I also discovered that some participants had taken the survey multiple times. After I cleaned the data, I had 1,844 responses. We ran a one-way ANOVA and Tukey post hoc test. Dr. Kim taught me how to report ANOVA results, and Dr. Cheramie and Dr. Apple taught me how to read the data and report my conclusions and results clearly.

After I learned how to write about data analysis, I edited my population and sampling section and added specific demographic data. We collected information about how many years each respondent had been attending the University of Arkansas. We found that there were 97 first year students (5%), 504 second year students (27%), 460 third year students (25%), 425 fourth year students (23%), 152 students in their fifth or more year of school (8%), and 206 graduate school students (11%). We were comparing results between these groups.

I then wrote my conclusion and limitations section. I concluded based on my data that it could be inferred that students with more years of education knew more about sustainability in the apparel and textile industry than students with less years of education. I concluded that it could be inferred that lack of awareness or education about problems in the apparel industry could be improved by incorporating sustainability classes into curriculum early in college.

The defense of my undergraduate thesis was then scheduled, and I defended it in April. I was so grateful for Dr. Cheramie teaching me invaluable information about research, and for his endless patience and encouragement. His mentorship ensured that I went into my defense fully confident. I was so excited to defend in front of my wonderful committee and have such an encouraging discussion about the future of my research. This research project inspired me immensely as a student and as a person. I gained such an appreciation for those that have gone before me with their research projects so that I could go forward with my own. It taught me invaluable methods and habits for an academic career in the future. I am proud of the legacy I am leaving behind with this project, and I am hopeful that future students will build upon it.