The Service of Public Defense 

Outside the Washington County Courthouse observing my last trial of the Summer!

Author: Kourtney Thompson | Major: Political Science | Semester: Summer 2023

After getting an inside look at the Arkansas Criminal Justice system through a tour of a state prison and a federal court house, I discovered a new interest of mine – criminal law. I added a criminology minor and by the summer I had lined up a job at the Washington County Public Defender’s Office. I wanted to experience and work in the legal side of the criminal justice system.

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I would drive out to the Washington County Jail Courthouse where I would meet clients for their arraignment hearings. I would walk the clients through the paperwork I had prepared the day before and begin to explain to them rights they have moving forward in this legal proceeding as well as the sentencing ranges that are legally required for the crime. I would tell them how to get in contact with their attorneys and answer their questions. I would prepare them to go in front of the Judge where the Judge would accept their plea of not guilty and set their next court date.

Another way I helped attorneys and clients in the office was through my work with discovery materials. Most days I would file discovery documents as they came in. I would often transcribe videos like police body camera footage and police interviews. Sometimes these transcripts would be used just for the attorney to quickly review evidence and sometimes these transcripts were used in court and entered into evidence. I would often get to attend the trials that I obtained discoveries for and would be able to see the evidence be used in court.

The Washington County Public Defender also serves as the Madison County Public Defender, because Madison does not have the tax money to allow for a Public Defender. Once a month, the Public Defender’s Office would represent Madison County residents at their arraignment hearings and pleadings. I loved getting to experience the judicial system of a county that was very different from the one I had grown up in my whole life.

I am incredibly proud of the time I spent in the Public Defender’s Office. I was honored to work for attorneys who play such a vital and invaluable role in our judicial system. As Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson said, “Public defenders do not get to pick their clients. They have to represent whoever comes in. It is a service. That is what you do as public defender and you are standing up for the Constitution and the value of representation.” This Summer solidified my place in the legal field, serving people and our Constitution in the Public Defender’s Office.