US Senate Internship Experience

During the first week of my internship I went on a tour of the Capitol Dome

Author: Sydney Kincaid | Major: Political Science | Semester: Summer: 2023

For many years, it has been my goal to spend a summer on Capitol Hill. This summer, I was able to meet that goal and it was one of the most insightful, intriguing, and fun internships I have experienced thus far.

When searching for different internships, I knew that I wanted to serve the state of Arkansas in some way. This led me to do further research on the intern opportunities within the different Congressional Offices that represented Arkansas in Washington D.C. After looking into different options, I put in my application for Senator Boozman’s office, attended an in-person interview, and heard back within the month.

After completing my first day of my internship at the end of May, I knew that I had made the right choice and I was in for a fantastic summer. Within the first week of working on the Hill, I attended Senate Committee Hearings, sat in on meetings with the Senator, and was able to meet with staffers who shared about their experience of working on the Hill. I experienced so much, so quickly, and was at times overwhelmed by how much I was learning daily. But I was also fascinated with seeing how our Nation’s government works on the Federal level through my own eyes. I knew that when I arrived at work, each day would bring something new and allow me to learn in numerous ways.

One of my favorite aspects of this internship was attending numerous Committee Hearings. I attended multiple Senate Veterans Affairs Committee meetings which allowed me to gain knowledge in an area that had previously been unfamiliar to me. These hearings included both testimonies from experts in different area’s as well as Senator’s sharing their thoughts and questions on different matters.

Senator Boozman speaking to individuals about the upcoming Farm Bill

Another one of my favorite parts of my internship was giving tours of the US Capitol to constituents from Arkansas. Having the experience of leading people through the halls of the old Senate Chambers, the Rotunda, and the Old Supreme Court is something I will not forget. Some additional highlights to my time in Washington D.C. were getting to attend the arrival of the Prime Minister of India at the White House, tour the Pentagon, take a Capitol Dome tour, visit the House Floor, and participate in a 5k Run through Arlington National Cemetery to celebrate the United States Army’s 248th Birthday.

After graduation, I plan to attend law school. Going into senior year, I wanted an experience that would give me a new perspective of what a legal career could look like. Working in DC gave me the opportunity to meet with many attorneys who work on the Hill, for lobbying groups, and governmental affairs for different companies. This allowed me to see a multitude of different careers that related to my interests. One of the biggest takeaways from this internship was that when choosing what career path to take, what job to pursue, or what law school to attend, there are no wrong answers to any of those decisions; there are simply different options. As someone who thrives off of having a concrete plan, this internship has taught me to trust the process and that working hard will pay off in the long run.

Senator Boozman and I outside of the Capitol after I spent the day shadowing him!

For so many, Washington D.C. appears to be full of chaos, disagreement, and a lack of progress. After five weeks of working in a Senate office, I was reminded that there is progress, collaboration, and a strong spirit of service. Without disagreement and challenging one another’s perspectives and idea’s, any sort of growth is difficult to achieve. The Senate is a high paced environment with individuals who are eager to seek out change in order to ensure prosperous growth across our nation.