Welcoming New Neighbors to Northwest Arkansas – A Summer Internship Experience with Canopy NWA 

A banner displaying “Refugees Welcome” signed by dozens of attendees at Canopy NWA’s celebration of World Refugee Day in June 2023. Staff, interns, refugee families served by Canopy and supporting community members came together at the office to mark this event.

Author: Madeline Johnson | Majors: Journalism, Political Science | Semester: Summer 2023

In one of the first courses I took on campus toward my journalism major, a professor wisely advised students to “localize” issues in their writing – take a national trend and cover how it impacts the lives of those in our community. I set out to do just that when our first assignment was to write a story about the impact of a national trend. Being the fall of 2021, headlines of the Taliban’s takeover of Afghanistan, the fall of Kabul, and the devastation that followed flooded national news. My professor wanted me to address the following question: “How did this news directly impact Northwest Arkansas?”

In setting out to answer, I was introduced to Canopy NWA, the only refugee resettlement agency in our state. The organization began in 2016 and has served over 500 individuals from across the world who have been displaced from their homes by welcoming them to Northwest Arkansas. This welcome involves providing cultural orientation, English language classes and employment training to allow individuals to become economically self-sufficient in their first 90 days of being in the United States. In covering Canopy for my journalism class, I had the opportunity to speak with the organization’s volunteer coordinator and board chair about its history and continuing mission, and it was then that I knew I wanted to become involved.

As a result, I applied for an internship after seeing the position advertised on Canopy’s website and social media this spring. After submitting a resume and cover letter, I interviewed and was fortunate to be offered a position in the case management team.

This team aids refugees with becoming oriented to the region’s school, job and healthcare systems. Witnessing the dedication of the professionals on this team firsthand was nothing short of inspiring. Moreover, each went above and beyond to welcome interns and answer questions. Many of these case managers had been served by Canopy NWA themselves, and many also study or have studied political science at the University of Arkansas, as I am doing. In this way, it was meaningful to learn from their expertise in this subject area.

As for my internship, I mainly met with at least three refugee families per week and aided them in completing medical forms. A highlight of the internship experience was the opportunity during the first week to meet a family as they first arrived in Northwest Arkansas and accompany them to their home for a welcome event. This was a firsthand glimpse into the many components of refugee resettlement, from home visits to healthcare reviews, that are required as part of the partnership Canopy holds with Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services.

I also was able to see how the office celebrated World Refugee Day in June. Many Canopy staff members were profiled for their experiences in relation to this event, and it was inspiring to hear their stories about how Canopy has supported them in times of adversity.

Though I was a part of the case management team, which deals primarily with the short-term and immediate welcoming of refugees, Canopy embraces “The Long Welcome,” meaning they provide connection and support to refugee clients years after they have arrived. This is often related to applications for legal permanent residence, employment authorization, and citizenship. I appreciated gaining additional knowledge on this area of law and hope to continue learning more as I apply to law schools this fall.

I would recommend this internship to any student interested in learning more about nonprofit or immigration-related work; not only could a student benefit from this understanding, but the professional guidance and supportive work atmosphere associated with this internship is unmatched. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to build relationships both with so many refugees who have come to Northwest Arkansas and with my supervisors at Canopy. I will certainly continue to stay in connection with the organization as a volunteer and will carry the lessons I have learned in service throughout my personal and professional paths.