Arrivederci, Italy!

My hardest but most favorite “yes” of the trip: paragliding!

Author: Katherine Ford | Major: Accounting | Semester: Summer 2023

Fresh off the plane from XNA, I was met with a whole new world in Venice, Italy. My back damp with sweat and wrists sore from the weight of my luggage, I boarded a water taxi that took me into the heart of the city, my eyes wide as they took in sights of people extending their torsos out of windows to hang drenched clothes or indulging in a cigarette at mid-morning. Never had I been in such awe of my surroundings! It was on this taxi ride that I realized what the heart was capable of: missing family and home but also desperately wanting to embrace the beauty of Italian life and claim it as my own. That counterbalanced tug of the heart remained true for the duration of my study abroad experience.

I chose to study at Paderno Del Grappa under the CIMBA program based on the glowing reports that previous students had shared with me. Their obvious giddiness and fond memories made me yearn to experience it for myself. Once at campus, I realized that those reports had been understated; the professors were absolutely incredible, the amenities fulfilled every need, and the views of the Italian Alps were simply unmatched! I took Financial Management and Law and Ethics, both of which were taught at a high caliber and with lots of student interaction. It was always an anticipated pleasure on Monday mornings when we returned from a lively weekend, as our professors would inquire where we had travelled or what we had experienced. It became a weekly routine that always revealed fun conversations and memories. I was fortunate enough to be taught by Professor Dobrzykowski, Arkansas’ very own, as well as Professor Welch from the University of Kansas. Unlike the University of Arkansas, classes met daily and were on a rotating block schedule. I enjoyed the fast pace with which material was taught as well as returning to class every morning and often picking up on discussions that had unfortunately been forced to end the day before. My time in between classes was typically spent roaming the halls and chatting with friends, often with a 50-eurocent cappuccino from the vending machine in hand. The smaller class sizes made discussions feel more intimate, and the fieldtrips taken to local businesses or museums seamlessly connected the material we were learning to the real world. I am not sure that words can adequately describe the euphoric feeling it was to study and learn amongst students from all across the nation, with opened windows capturing the sounds of chirping birds or squealing school children. It was hard to comprehend that I had the privilege of simultaneously earning college credit! With ambitions to complete the IMACC program to earn my CPA license as well as to attend law school, both of these classes provided significant contribution to my academic and professional goals. My love for accounting will lend itself well to the information learned in finance class, and the business law concepts discussed this summer will certainly reemerge when I attend law school.

While my experiences in the classroom were nothing short of spectacular, I would argue that I had an even better time off-campus. Of all the wonderful adventures taken, I think I found the most joy in the simple interactions with strangers around me. There was something so pure and simple about trying to strike up conversation with people on a train or in a coffee shop, despite the massive language barrier that existed. A particular memory that always resurfaces is one that took place in the Giardini Reali Gardens of Venice. I found myself sharing a bench with local girl scouts, and I could feel the curious stare of their eyes and hear the whispers taking place behind their shielded mouths. I took the leap, saying “ciao!” A wonderful, sparse conversation ensued. Both parties employed the use of hand gestures and exaggerated facial features to get our points across, the only mutual thing being that we wanted to know each other. Nothing of substance was said, yet we knew everything we needed to. Moral of the story: the desire for friendship is ubiquitous!