Pilsen Project: the Character of Space in the Face of Gentrification

Alejandro Medina, 1639 S. Allport Street, 2013.

Author: Andrew Popp | Major: Architecture | Semester: Spring 2023

My name is Andrew Popp and I’m a 5th year Honors Architecture student pursuing a bachelor’s in architecture and a minor in Sustainability. My research will be a case-study driven project utilizing statistical data, photographical evidence, and accounts from a wide variety of sources to explore the process of gentrification and its impacts on the sense of place in Pilsen, Chicago over time. This capstone will explore the unique history and circumstances that led to the culturally significant neighborhood of Pilsen as well as how this community has faced and tackled the issues of gentrification bleeding in from its eastern side.

This trip was pivotal for the development of my project in understanding the rich cultural and architectural layers of history found in the neighborhood of Pilsen Chicago. Pilsen Chicago is a predominantly low-income Mexican American community located in Chicago’s Lower West Side just southwest of Chicago’s central business district, the loop, and many of the windy city’s main attractions. Pilsen was originally a bohemian neighborhood and many of these roots are still present through the vast amount of key structures such as churches taprooms and other restaurants. However, Pilsen is now more known as a center for Chicano culture boasting many restaurants, shops, parks, galleries, and schools as well as the National Museum for Mexican art. The former Mexican Fine Arts Center Museum is one of the largest centers featuring Mexican, Latino, and Chicano Art. Founded in 1987 it is the only Latino Museum accredited by the American Alliance of Museums.

I was able to travel to Pilsen Chicago to conduct interviews and the photographic portion of my research into gentrification. Pilsen is home to an extensive mural scene as well as a wide variety of early 19th and 20th century architecture that I was able to visually document throughout the neighborhood. Combing throughout the neighborhood I found several pieces that exemplified the character of the space and demonstrate cultural ideas for the world to see. I was also able to meet with several professionals during my few days up in Pilsen, Chicago. I spoke with nonprofit organizations specifically the Resurrection project and the Pilsen Alliance. The Resurrection project is a nonprofit organization that works with the local community through several avenues including legal services, help with immigration, and more importantly for my research the development of mixed affordable housing. The Pilsen alliance is a nonprofit community organizer that advocates for the interests of the community on the political stage working with representatives and government officials to advocate for the needs of the community. I was also able to meet with a city planner to discuss zoning and other issues regarding affordable housings specifically in the Lower west side.

I was able to connect with some professors from the University of Chicago and some local architects from some of the surrounding neighborhoods. This was really good for networking now having resources up in the windy city. The next step in the process will be to complete my written paper and submit it for review to my committee.