Solvitur Ambulando in Rome: Embarking on the Path to an Unforgettable Summer Abroad!

Lost in the Grandeur: Strolling through Saint Peter’s Square, enchanted by the breathtaking Saint Peter’s Basilica.

Author: Noah Boggs Riley | Major: Human Development and Family Sciences | Semester: Summer 2023

Academics: Gaining a Deeper Understanding

I chose the communication program in Rome because I recognized the importance of gaining a deeper understanding of global and intercultural communication in today’s interconnected world. It was crucial for me to develop the skills needed to navigate and effectively communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds. By fully immersing myself in this experience, I believed it would significantly advance both my academic and professional goals.

The program not only provided academic growth but also offered networking opportunities. Being in Rome, I had the chance to interact with professionals and experts in various fields, broadening my professional network and gaining valuable insights into different industries. Moreover, the program focused on developing cultural competence, an essential skill for working collaboratively in multicultural environments. Through various activities and interactions, I learned to appreciate and respect cultural differences while finding common ground to foster effective communication and collaboration.

Exceptional Classes and Inspiring Instructors

The classes and instructors during my time in Rome were truly exceptional. Our learning environment was not limited to the classroom; instead, it was held in a beautiful building adorned with captivating art and architecture. This created an inspiring ambiance that facilitated the learning process. The instructor was skilled at maintaining a perfect balance between classroom lectures, discussions, and exciting excursions. We had the opportunity to explore Historical Rome, visit renowned institutions such as the Food Agriculture Organization, and discover hidden gems like the Capuchin Catacombs. Each excursion deepened our understanding of the subjects we were studying and allowed us to connect the textbook knowledge with real-world experiences.

Bridging the Gap Between Theory and Practice

A notable difference between the classes in Rome compared to those at the U of A was the emphasis on experiential learning. While traditional classroom sessions were still part of the curriculum, they were complemented by engaging excursions that brought our studies to life. Before each excursion, we would study relevant material from our textbooks, preparing us to make connections and reflections based on what we encountered during our visits. This approach bridged the gap between theory and practice, allowing us to fully grasp the significance and application of what we were learning. The city itself served as our classroom, offering countless learning opportunities around every corner.

Culture: A Whirlwind of Incredible Experiences

Outside of class, my time in Rome was a whirlwind of incredible experiences. In terms of food, I had the delightful opportunity to savor zucchini flowers on pizza, a unique and delicious combination. Living next to Saint Peter’s Basilica, I had the privilege of walking past this awe-inspiring architectural masterpiece every day, soaking in its grandeur and historical significance. Attending a concert where Antonio Vivaldi’s enchanting “Four Seasons” was performed was a musical highlight. Exploring art, I marveled at the intricate machines and captivating paintings created by Leonardo da Vinci. Taking road trips to Florence, Venice, and the breathtaking Amalfi Coast allowed me to discover new landscapes and immerse myself in the beauty of Italy. Daily life involved indulging in a cappuccino and cornetto ritual each morning. Navigating public transportation, I learned the hard way about the importance of paying attention to bus routes to avoid getting lost. I also observed the Italian society’s monochronic worldview, where time was viewed flexibly without a strict schedule. These experiences truly enriched my understanding of Rome’s vibrant culture and left me with cherished memories.

Advice: Embrace the Transformation

I would highly recommend studying abroad to other students. It is truly a transformative experience that allows you to broaden your horizons, gain a global perspective, and develop invaluable skills. Before embarking on your journey, I would advise doing thorough research about the country and culture you will be residing in. Understanding social norms, transportation systems, and local customs will help you navigate and adapt more easily. Additionally, I recommend connecting with fellow students who have previously studied abroad to hear about their experiences and seek advice. Keep an open mind and be willing to step out of your comfort zone – embracing new challenges and cultural differences will enrich your experience.

Upon returning home, the first thing I would suggest doing is reflecting on your study abroad experience. Take time to appreciate the personal and academic growth you achieved during your time abroad. Share your stories and experiences with family and friends, as they will be curious to learn about your adventures. It’s also important to stay connected with the friends you made during your time abroad, as they will understand the unique bond that comes from sharing such a transformative experience.

Finally, use the skills and perspectives gained from studying abroad to continue pursuing your academic and professional goals with renewed confidence and global awareness. Solvitur Ambulando in Rome has set me on the path to an unforgettable summer abroad and has provided me with the tools I need to navigate an interconnected world with cultural competence and open-mindedness.