A Month in Aphrodite’s Homeland

Overlooking the fjords of Norway

Author: Edward Onisei | Majors: Biochemistry, Public Health | Semester: Summer 2023

This summer, I had the pleasure of studying abroad for a month in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus. I chose this program due to its pre-med nature and the unique opportunities that it offers. One of the main features that drew me in was that the anatomy course was in a cadaver lab. It was fascinating to apply the concepts I was learning in a very hands-on manner. As an aspiring physician, this program was hugely beneficial. The anatomy class was split into two parts each day: a lecture and a practical topic for the second half. Seeing the lecture’s subject matter on an actual body was advantageous. I also learned many practical clinical techniques, such as how to draw blood, perform incisions and sutures, and perform many physical examinations. These will no doubt aid me in the future, as my first exposure to these techniques has already occurred. Having access to and exploring cadavers is something an undergraduate does not generally get to do and must wait until medical school. Gaining exposure to the clinical and tangible facets of anatomy was highly beneficial. The second class, Management of Care, was also informative, as it went through the different aspects of health practices worldwide, including insurance, professionalism, and ethical topics such as euthanasia. I enjoyed this class as it was very interactive and conversation based. Seeing how other aspiring healthcare professionals viewed these topics opened my eyes to different perspectives in a way that would be impossible without them. The professors from both classes were genuinely outstanding. The class size was also small, ensuring that they could take time to instruct each student properly. Luckily, the entire course was in English, and all the professors were clear. Possibly due to the lack of a language barrier, the classes felt strikingly like classes at the University of Arkansas.

Some of the program’s best activities were the weekend excursions. The whole program would take a bus to a different city each weekend, where we would have an included tour on the first day, and the rest of the time was for city exploration. It was a joy to explore all around the island, with each city offering a unique scene. My favorite city, Paphos, had incredible beaches and modern infrastructure surrounding ancient Hellenistic ruins. The contrast between new apartment complexes and ancient ruins and churches was awe-inspiring. Nicosia was also full of this, and one truly felt at a crossroads between civilizations. Nicosia also has quite a unique history, as it is currently the only capital divided by fences in the world. It is split among the Greeks and the Turkish, and UN guards and stations are located at crossing points. It was completely peaceful, yet it was very eye-opening crossing it and talking to people on both sides.

My study abroad was incredible, and I recommend it to anyone. My specific program is an excellent introduction to gross anatomy and some of the public health aspects of practicing healthcare. I learned so much during my time in Cyprus and made friends to last a lifetime. I recommend that people planning to study abroad check the customs associated with eating in the respective country. In Cyprus, for example, dinner is usually eaten quite late, around 10 or 11 p.m., so it became necessary to start planning my meals like a Cypriot would. A few words in the local language will also take you quite a long way, as I found that people appreciated when I would greet them in Greek, even if I just continued in English. I had a wonderful experience in Cyprus and would love to return in the future. I’m so thankful for the opportunity I received this summer and the people who made it so memorable.