A Summer Immersed in Theatre

A unique piece of architecture I found on the way to Camden Market

Author: Madison Harper | Major: Architecture | Semester: Summer 2023

This summer, I spent a month in London, England as a student in the Theatre in London Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program. I chose this program because not only do I love theatre, but I also have a minor in Theatre, and I decided that studying abroad in a country with a National Theatre would be the best opportunity to get firsthand experience of a variety of different genres of plays and musicals. I was also going to be getting hours toward my minor, which is an opportunity that I don’t normally have during the school year due to my rigorous architecture program.

This program provided me with a unique experience and showed me the variety of ways theatre can be interpreted. We only had traditional classes the week before we left for London. During this week, we read and analyzed different plays written by William Shakespeare, and then we would have in-class discussions led by us students. Once we got to London, the class structure was a little more nontraditional. Our instructors wanted us to be able to fully immerse ourselves in the Theatre, so instead of sitting in a classroom, we visited different museums and historical towns such as Oxford, Bath, and Stratford Upon Avon. We got to watch about eleven plays as a group, and for our class meetings, we would sit down and discuss what we thought about different aspects of each play such as the lighting, set, actors’ character choices, casting, and overall themes of the play. We also wrote blog posts throughout our trip documenting what we learned during our excursions. These blog posts allowed us to think more in-depth about the plays and our conversations and explore details about the plays on our own. This way of having “class” helped me feel more immersed in the culture, and I was able to better understand the different ways theatre can be performed because theatre should be experienced out loud instead of simply read. Our course was led by Shawn Irish and Susan Marren, and they were both fantastic about encouraging our curiosity about the theatre and leading us around London. They connected us as a group, and by the end of the trip, we felt like a family. Professor Irish and Professor Marren only added to this experience and group connection.

While some of my classmates took trips to different countries on our off days, I decided to stay in London and experience as much of it as I could. I ended up seeing twenty plays on this trip, and I wish I had the time (and money) to experience more. The best thing about London was that many of the play tickets could be bought the day of for roughly 15-30£, which is cheaper than most tickets one could find in the United States. On one of the off days, my roommate and I traveled around London doing as many of the “nerdy” activities that we could find. We went to the Disney store, walked through Sherlock’s home/museum at 221B Baker Street, and we found the TARDIS from Dr. Who. One of my favorite things about London was the markets where you could find almost any type of food your heart longs for. The journey to said markets was also entertaining because there are so many ways to get places using public transportation and walking that sometimes you end up in alleyways with unique shops and insane architecture like the building I found on the way to Camden market. My favorite market we visited was Spitalfields Market because they had amazing Chicken Pad Thai, and their booths were set up like an antique market. Camden Market and Borough Market were a little overwhelming because there were a lot more people, and the vendors are a little pushier, but all of them deserve a visit because it is one of the more unique/different experiences I had.

I highly recommend this program to other students, especially anyone who enjoys theatre. London theatre groups push the boundaries of what most groups do in the US when it comes to casting and set design, and it opens your mind to thinking about theatre in a different way. The only thing I would have done differently was save up a little more money because the exchange rate makes certain things cost a little more, and I would have brought a fan. There is no air conditioning in most places throughout London, and for the most part, sleeping with the window was fine, but once the outside temperature got about 80 degrees, trying to sleep became unbearable. I highly recommend going out and getting to know your classmates because I now have friendships that I am incredibly thankful for but also don’t be afraid to say no every once in a while if you need a break. You’re doing a lot on these trips, and there is nothing shameful about having to rest or take a nap every so often. Saying no also applies to the markets. If you are a people pleaser, practice saying no before you leave because some vendors can be pushy, and if you’re not careful you could end up with a new dress you weren’t anticipating buying… like me. Overall, I really enjoyed this trip because it not only provided me with unique experiences but also introduced me to some people who are now like family, and I wouldn’t trade this experience for the world!