A Summer in the Past

Me blissfully enjoying the air on an island off the coast of Scotland

Author: Kailee Rowe | Majors: History, Classical Studies | Semester: Summer 2023

This summer, I chose to participate in the Medieval England program primarily due to the subject of medieval history being a particular interest of mine. I had been hoping to take courses on medieval history, and this summer program was exactly what I was looking for! This program lasts for five weeks, so I felt that I would have enough time to enjoy England, but not too much time to where I would grow extremely homesick, as it was my first time out of the country. We also stayed in more than one location, so I never had time to feel like I had been away for too long, as I had many historical sites to visit and learn about. Overall, I felt that the program was a wonderful introduction to the world of study abroad.

I believed that through partaking in this program, I would have a greater understanding of medieval English history, which would provide me with more knowledge for my future studies in history. It was a great choice for me both academically and professionally, because I was introduced to a vast amount of medieval topics I had not yet learned. This helped me discover what specific areas of medieval history I am most interested in. Throughout the five weeks of classes and tours, I discovered topics which I would like to further research in, whether for more casual intellectual fun, or for other research projects like my thesis. The final project also allowed me to work on my research and writing skills, as I chose to do a more creative project that included writing in a style of poetry I was not very familiar with.

The classes themselves lasted only for the first two weeks, during which we stayed at Durham University. We had lectures that were typically taught by the one professor that came with us on the trip, Dr. Quinn, but we did have a class where our graduate teaching assistant took over. We were assigned readings that we would go over in class, and we discussed literature, politics, warfare, religion, and much more, including my favorite topic, courtly love. I would say that the classes were more comfortable and fun compared to my usual classes back at the university, and through them I learned much more about medieval English history. It helped that everyone got along quite nicely. Our site visits were also wonderful additions to our lessons. For instance, the Durham cathedral was just a couple minute walk away, and there much of the history we had been learning came to life through the very obviously Norman architecture, and the sacred space of St. Cuthbert’s shrine.

Outside of class time, I was able to experience much of the culture in the UK. The food was what I was most anticipating, as many of my friends and family joked about the lack of seasoning on most of their dishes. However, I found that the food was better than many might imagine due to stereotypes. There are also many cultural restaurants that serve amazing foods from all over the world. As for the architecture in England, it is truly beautiful. So much of the medieval architecture is preserved, and what was lost was oftentimes recreated in the 19th century. Most of the areas we went to were accessible by walking, which is very rare in the rural area I am from. Where we didn’t want to walk, there were many options for public transportation, especially in London. Daily life was mostly learning more about medieval history whilst living in England, which usually included enjoying nature and visiting the nearby food and drink establishments, as well as bookstores. I didn’t converse with many locals, so it was hard to pick out specific differences in social norms beyond what just felt unlike what I was used to. However, I noticed areas similar to the idea of a “third space”- somewhere not part of home or work, where you can relax and enjoy the present. There were many opportunities to take nice walks and experience nature, which I know is a more encouraged activity in the UK.

I would definitely recommend this program to other students. Medieval English history is so vast and interesting, and with the many trips you are taken on to see what you learn in class in real life, no one could be bored! I think it’s important to see history in person, because without that experience, history can oftentimes feel more like just fairytales. In that realization of its actuality, and therefore its impact on the present, one begins to appreciate humanity and all its accomplishments a bit more. I think it provides a different perspective, a shift in how one views the world and one’s own place in it. Personally, I learned, besides the exciting history of medieval England, how to be confident and self-sufficient.

Everything I wish I knew beforehand would not have been possible to acquire before going on this trip. I was well informed of procedures and what to pack, as well as information about the United Kingdom itself. However, the actual feelings elicited from standing in the middle of a foreign city, with everyone either talking in a different language or with an accent so strong it might as well be, is something that cannot be fully understood until you are put in that situation.

While England is a beautiful place, and I was very sad to return to America, I am excited to see my friends and family, and to share what I have seen and learned. I am also excited for the start of the new fall semester, and I hope that I can utilize the knowledge and skills that I have learned and developed during this program. First, however, I plan on going to all the restaurants that are not in England, because while I find the food to be good there, nothing beats Chili’s.