A Magical Summer

A Day at Stonehenge!

Author: Natalie Collins | Majors: Spanish, Psychology | Semester: Summer 2023

I chose this program at University College London because it offered me an opportunity to hear from world renowned researchers in two subjects that I am passionate about. During Session One, I took a class titled “How the Brain Works and What Can Go Wrong.” During the three weeks of this course, I heard from leading researchers in neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, personality disorders, eating disorders, and even one researcher who works with the royal family! Since mental health advocacy is something I care about deeply, it was amazing to be able to hear about the progress that is being made in this field, as well as taking a deeper look into many of these issues.

At the end of this session, our final was a group presentation and a 2,500 word research paper on a subject relating to how our brains work and what can go wrong. I chose to write about the functioning of neuronal pathways, and how changes in that system can cause depression. This research was very interesting to me because I learned how medicines can help to address these issues and what is actually happening in the brain during that process. I loved this class, and it is by far one of the most interesting classes I have ever taken. I learned so much in just a few short weeks, but I will remember the experience for the rest of my life. I am so glad I chose the University of London for this psychology class.

During Session Two, I took a course named “International Politics and Human Rights.” This course opened my eyes on international relations and human rights treaties. Hearing about the world from an international perspective is enlightening, especially since there were students from many different countries in my class. The discussions I had in that setting were unlike any experience I’ve ever had, and I am so grateful for that opportunity. I am very interested in social politics and our changing world, especially since I study psychology and hope to become a mental health counselor. Mental health is not as strong in countries with human rights violations, and I believe it is essential to a long and happy life.

There are so many things to do in London! I went to three different plays, so many museums, and countless restaurants. I even got to take the red double decker bus to class every day! It was so amazing. I went to Heathers The Musical with friends from class, and it was such a great and fun experience. I also lived in an area of London where many people from Lebanon live, so I got to try so many new foods from that country! I miss my favorite lamb shawarma wrap already. High tea is a must-do in London, and I discovered a small place by University College London that felt just like eating baked goods from Grandma’s house. It was so cozy and cute, and the food was delicious. The vintage shopping in London is some of the best in the world. There are so many amazing markets and stores where you can spend hours looking through things. I had the best ramen of my life, and even went to a bar with a ball pit inside! The possibilities were endless in London, and even though I was there for 6 weeks, it still didn’t feel like I had done half of the things on my list. It is so diverse and filled with life. My summer was truly magical.

My best advice is to spend at least two weeks in London. There is so much to do, that it just cant be done in one week, if you want the real experience. Another piece of advice is to meet locals!! They are so friendly and have amazing advice and ideas. They also make everything so fun, especially since most of them loved foreign students and were happy to talk about their city. I would 100% recommend this program to anyone wanting to study abroad (and already have). They offer so many different classes, and the excursions through both API and UCL were so enjoyable.