Comparative Healthcare Abroad

Me in front of Westminster Abbey!

Author: Abby Hunter | Majors: Biology, Spanish | Semester: Summer 2023

Hello, everyone! My name is Abby Hunter. I am a rising junior majoring in Biology and Spanish and minoring in Medical Humanities and Global Studies. Earlier this summer, I participated in AIFS Abroad’s Comparative Healthcare program! We spent a week in London, a week in Barcelona, and a week in Florence. In each city, we explored the national healthcare systems, how they differ from each other, and how they differ from healthcare in the United States. We discussed the unique health problems each country experiences, and what areas each system excels in. We were able to visit medical schools, various landmarks in the history of medicine, hospitals, specialized clinics, and labs that are developing new medical technology. Our assignments included many readings and reflections on our visits, and how what we learned in the field related to what we learned in class. In class, we discussed the logistics of each healthcare system: how they are funded, how resources are distributed, what disparities exist, and how specific policies influence the quality of care received. We also discussed how certain events have affected the health of the public-for example, Brexit, the COVID-19 pandemic, the increase in the elderly population, and the AIDS epidemic. As a pre-medical student, I was worried that I would not be interested in the political or logistical aspects of healthcare, but I was fascinated by everything I learned. It made me feel so confident in my decision to pursue a career and healthcare, and it also opened my eyes to the world of public health and healthcare policy. My classmates were amazing; they were all so smart and kind, and we had incredible conversations inside and outside of class. I met some of the best people I know in my classes! My professor was also amazing. We were instructed by Kevin Singh, a PhD candidate at the University of Amsterdam. He is studying medical anthropology. He was so knowledgeable about the topics of the class and he offered us great insight as an American-born man living in Europe.

When we weren’t completing our assignments or taking field trips, we got to freely experience the culture of each country. Both London and Barcelona have amazing public transportation systems, and Florence was extremely walkable, so we never had problems getting where we wanted to go. The food in each city was delicious! We got to experience a traditional English Sunday dinner in London, tapas in Barcelona, and fresh pasta and tiramisu in Florence. We took the train to Bath, where we explored the quaint English city and went to Jane Austen’s home. We visited the Hospital de Sant Pau and saw a flamenco show in Barcelona. One of my favorite days was when we took the train from Florence to Lucca, where we rode bicycles, ate gelato, and went to a wine tasting in the mountains. We missed our train home, but we were having so much fun, we didn’t mind.

I would encourage anyone who is interested in medicine, public health, or healthcare policy to apply for this program. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my college experience. It affirmed my passion for equity in healthcare, and I believe that I will be a more compassionate and well-rounded professional because of it. I also made some of my best friends in the program. I am so grateful to have met them! You should know that while being abroad can be stressful at times, it will be such an enriching and epiphanic experience. Just don’t miss your train!