Global Health and Policy Development in Switzerland

Boat tour of Lac Leman

Author: Caroline Meche | Major: Public Health | Semester: Summer 2023

I arrived in Geneva on June 5th, 2023 along with 22 other students coming from all over the United States. I was very nervous to be in a country that I had never been to with people who I had never met, but also extremely excited for what the next 6 weeks would hold. I chose this program which focused on global health and development policy because it aligned perfectly with my interest in population health and aspirations to work in public health policy. The main class consisted of guest lectures and group work which ensured that our time spent in the classroom was enriching and collaborative. The classes differed from those that I have taken at the U of A due to the schedule and number of assignments. We met Monday through Friday for around 3 hours each day and the only assignments that we had to complete were the 10-page written final and research paper at the end of the program. I also took a French class which was a change in pace as my degree at the U of A does not require me to take a language.

Switzerland was the perfect place for me to visit as someone who enjoys hiking, traveling, and meeting new people from all different backgrounds. The Swiss Alps are well known for their beautiful hikes and I can attest to this after visiting many areas for hiking and canyoning adventures. Switzerland also has a phenomenal public transportation system and our Swiss Passes, which were provided by the program, allowed us to travel anywhere within the country to explore. In addition to meeting new people within the program, we also encountered many locals and fellow travelers who quickly became our friends. Switzerland consists of German, Italian, Romansh, and French regions which make it a very interesting and diverse country to travel within. There was almost always a food, music, or other type of festival going on that was just a train ride away which allowed us to feel fully immersed in the Swiss culture.

I would highly recommend this program to any students who are passionate about global health topics and would like to learn or improve their French speaking skills. While it was a lot more demanding than many programs that I have heard about, it was very enlightening and presented me with multiple opportunities to network with experts in the field. I wish I had known that I did not need to pack as much as I did, but that is a mistake that I would probably make every time. My biggest piece of advice for other students who plan on studying abroad is to say “yes” to as much as you can in the process of making new friends and exploring a new city. Some of my best memories were made when I just decided to go with the flow. The first thing that I did when I got home was hug my parents and my pets along with getting Chick-fil-a, of course. I am excited to apply my new knowledge of public health and other cultures here in the United States and hope to visit Switzerland again soon!