Ich liebe dich, Berlin! (I love you, Berlin!)

Looking out a window at Charlottenburg Palace

Author: Dylan Reynolds | Major: Political Science | Semester: Summer 2023

I decided to study abroad through the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) Abroad program, which offers study, intern, and volunteer opportunities around the world. There was a wide selection of destinations that I could have chosen to study, but I finally settled on Berlin, Germany after a few weeks of researching. In Berlin, AIFS partners with Humboldt University, the city’s oldest university and one of the country’s most prestigious. Located in the heart of Berlin, Humboldt is public research university that claims over 50 Nobel Prize winners.

The support that AIFS offers throughout registration and enrollment was extremely helpful as the process can be quite intimidating. Students have the option to take one or two courses for 3 credit hours each. Courses in a variety of subjects were offered: law, history, economics, sociology, etc. The two courses that I chose to enroll in were “Nazi Germany – Rise and Fall” and “European Constitutional Law: National Identities Between Unity and Plurality.” Both courses were very interesting and enjoyable. The Nazi Germany history course involved a chronological analysis of the National Socialism movement and a pertinent application of this history to the current political situation in the country. Several excursions to museums throughout the city were involved, and this is where I feel that the students really had the opportunity to learn. A tour of Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, located just outside of the city, allowed the horror of the Nazi regime to sink in while a trip to the German Resistance Memorial Center showed us that ordinary German citizens often stood up to fascist rule. Each excursion offered something new.

The European Constitutional Law course was largely discussion-based and centered on questions of European identity, nationalism, and democracy. I and the other students were able to gain a solid understanding of how European states operate within the framework of the European Union, a topic which I haven’t been given the chance to truly learn about before. As a political science student, both courses equipped me with relevant and important knowledge that is applicable to political affairs within the United States – I think that we can always learn a lesson or two by analyzing history and politics elsewhere in the world.

Berlin offered a vast array of historical sites to visit. Popular ones include Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag building, Berlin Cathedral, Checkpoint Charlie, and more. In my four weeks in the city, I never ran out of places to see and things to do. Germany prides itself on its public transportation systems, and Berlin’s allows you to reach almost anywhere in the city quickly and easily. Because of this, I was able to really make the most of my time spent there. It was so fulfilling to be surrounded so much history, and I think that Berlin truly is one of the best places in the world for that. The city is also widely known for its diverse nightlife, and rightly so. There are countless clubs, each of which offers a unique experience. The location of Berlin also makes it easy to travel to other places. AIFS offered a day trip to the Baltic Sea and a weekend trip to Warsaw, Poland, both of which were thoroughly enjoyable. Humboldt also had an extensive schedule of cultural activities throughout the duration of the program, like a bus tour of the nearby city of Potsdam, a tour of the German Chancellery, and a group dinner at a biergarten.

The most challenging part of studying abroad for many is learning and adjusting to a new culture, and this held to be true for me. Berlin has a very distinct culture, one that I as an Arkansas native really had to learn to get used to. For example, it’s unusual to Berliners (and Germans in general) to make small talk, and it’s often perceived as rude to smile at strangers. Both are quite common behaviors where I come from, and it was surprising to learn that it’s perceived so differently. There are occasional instances where a stranger might be friendly and strike up a conversation, but it’s rare. One thing that I was glad to find, though, is that many Berliners speak English. The city is such a cosmopolitan place, and English often serves as the lingua franca, or common language.

I think that everyone should take the chance to study abroad if presented with it. While it sounds cliché, it really is a life-changing experience. Studying abroad allows you to become more open to and comfortable with foreign cultures and more willing to try new things. I really would recommend this program to anyone – Berlin has something to offer for everyone. I will forever be grateful for this opportunity, and I hope to visit Berlin again sometime.