Insights from APHA Conference: Public Health Research

Mufazzela Tabassum and her lab-mates at APHA

Author: Tabassum Mufazzela | Major: Public Health | Semester: Fall 2023

Recently, I attended the American Public Health Association conference in Atlanta, Georgia, from November 12th to 15th to co-present research with my lab mates in the Health Equity and Addiction Lab. It was an honor to represent the University of Arkansas at the largest annual public health gathering. Our research project is titled “Social Influences on Quitting E-Cigarette Use: A Mixed Method Analysis.” In this study, we examined how social influences affected people’s ability to quit or decrease their e-cigarette use, utilizing a mixed methods approach by capturing both qualitative interview data and quantitative survey data from students at the University of Arkansas.

During our poster presentation, several attendees stopped by, and it was a great experience sharing the results of our study. We found that individuals with more active and supportive social networks tend to have more successful attempts to quit e-cigarette use. This experience taught me the importance of breaking down concepts in an easy-to-understand manner when sharing research, facilitating broader accessibility and encouraging valuable feedback.

This trip significantly contributed to my professional development. One highlight was the Public Health Exposition, where colleges, organizations, and individuals showcased opportunities to get more involved in the field of public health. I interacted with representatives from different institutions, gaining insights into the diverse array of Master of Public Health programs available nationwide. Additionally, building meaningful connections with students from other campuses and discussing our shared passion for public health topics was particularly enriching.

Attending insightful speaker presentations was another valuable aspect of the conference. A notable presentation discussed the relationship between public health and artificial intelligence, titled: “Public Health and AI: Friends, Enemies, or Frenemies?”. This session delved into how AI is changing the landscape of healthcare and public health, emphasizing that AI needs public health, not the other way around. Despite its effectiveness in addressing various needs, ethical considerations and concerns about accuracy must always be considered. While AI can accelerate the identification of emerging health issues, we must use it ethically, being mindful of its potential biases. This presentation held particular significance for me, as I am currently immersed in a project that investigates the effectiveness of utilizing AI to analyze emerging tobacco access policies. The insights gained from the session not only reinforced the importance of ethical AI use but also provided me with a broader perspective on the ethical challenges that may arise in my own research. It was a timely and enriching experience that added depth to my understanding of the intersection between public health and artificial intelligence.

In conclusion, I am grateful for the opportunity to attend the single largest public health gathering, with over 15,000 individuals in attendance. As a public health major, this experience deepened my understanding of the diverse contributions of my field. I encourage others to attend conferences encompassing all aspects of their major or field of study, as it can broaden their perspectives on how their field contributes to advancing the world. I’m excited to take what I’ve learned at this conference to provide further contributions in public health. I’m especially grateful to the University and my mentor, Dr. Page Dobbs, for making it possible for students to have these invaluable experiences as undergraduates.