Navigating Public Health: From Research to Professional Growth

Me in front of my poster at the SRNT Conference!

Author: Susana Rodriguez Garcia | Major: Public Health | Semester: Spring 2024

My name is Susana Rodriguez Gongora and my major is Public Health. My research dives into how individuals in California navigate around laws banning flavored tobacco, specifically menthol cigarettes. By analyzing discussions on Reddit, I uncovered various strategies people employ, such as purchasing menthol products illegally or from neighboring states. This sheds light on the complexities of enforcing public health policies and underscores the need for effective enforcement strategies to safeguard community health and well-being.

As a senior in college on the brink of graduation, my journey to Edinburgh, Scotland, for the SRNT Conference was a significant moment in my academic and professional trajectory. With the imminent transition from student life to the professional world, this experience served as a crucial stepping stone towards my future endeavors.

The decision to attend the conference was motivated by a desire to deepen my understanding of public health issues related to nicotine and tobacco, as well as to expand my professional network. Edinburgh, renowned for its academic excellence and vibrant cultural landscape, provided the ideal backdrop for this immersive learning experience.

Throughout the conference, I was immersed in a world of cutting-edge research, thoughtprovoking discussions, and invaluable networking opportunities. Presenting my thesis and engaging in a poster presentation not only allowed me to showcase my academic achievements but also provided a platform to connect with fellow researchers and practitioners in the field.

Receiving positive feedback on my work, particularly being commended for presenting “Masters level work” as an undergraduate, was both humbling and affirming. It reinforced my confidence in my abilities and solidified my commitment to pursuing a career in public health research and advocacy.

Moreover, the networking opportunities afforded by the conference were instrumental in shaping my post-graduation plans. The introduction to individuals from Truth Initiative in Washington, D.C., and the subsequent internship interview opened doors to potential opportunities for further professional growth and development.

Reflecting on my experience, I offer advice to fellow students: Stay curious and embrace opportunities to learn, surround yourself with supportive peers and mentors who uplift and encourage you, find a balance between work and leisure to maintain your well-being, and actively engage in research to enhance your academic experience and skill set. By following these principles, you can navigate your academic journey with confidence, cultivate meaningful connections, and lay the groundwork for a successful and fulfilling career in your chosen field.

Looking ahead, my aspirations are clear. I am eager to leverage my academic background and experiences to make a tangible impact in the field of public health. To this end, I plan to seize the opportunity presented by the internship offer from Truth Initiative in Washington, D.C. The prospect of working with such a renowned organization dedicated to tobacco control and public health advocacy is not only exciting but aligns perfectly with my career goals.

Furthermore, I intend to pursue a master’s degree in Public Health, building upon the foundation laid during my undergraduate studies. A master’s degree will provide me with the advanced knowledge, skills, and credentials necessary to effect meaningful change in the field. Through rigorous academic study and hands-on experience, I aim to deepen my understanding of public health issues and contribute to innovative solutions that address health disparities and promote well-being on a global scale.